02 March 2009

Look somewhere else if you want deep and profound thoughts.

I feel like there should be more profundity on my blog. I am lacking in profound thoughts. Lists: Yes. The English language: Yes. Profundity: Not so much. Oh well. At the moment, I myself am lacking in profound thoughts. Deal with it. I am.

The child is working on a poster project for school. His Mind Fair project, to be specific. My classmates will remember the mind fair as the time the cafetorium was filled with poster boards every year. Everyone else, just try to imagine a large room filled with elementary school students milling around, looking at poster boards with subjects ranging from "My Remote-Controlled Hoverboard" to "The History of Chocolate" to "Are You Really Shorter in the Afternoon?"

I made two in my six years at elementary school. My first, in third grade, was about sea otters. I have no idea why I picked sea otters. I didn't even really like sea otters. I wrote facts about them in Microsoft Word, printed them out, and glued them onto blue and green cardstock and then onto my poster board. I also brought an activity: a sponge in a bowl of water that was supposed to simulate a sea otter swimming. Someone knocked the bowl over and spilled water all over the floor.

My last was in fifth grade, only because it was required. I did "Harry Potter by the Numbers," (yes, I came up with it myself) where I listed things like how many copies were sold and how many years it took for each book to come out. It was only because Spiffy told me "Sporks: A Very Deceptive History" would be stupid. I still have that poster board somewhere in the bowels of the basement, I think.

The child is doing his on different kinds of gemstones. I'm not sure why he picked that. It's his choice, of course, so I can't complain. It's just a bit of a weird project. Gemstones. Beryls and emeralds, specifically. My favorites.

I keep telling myself I should actually make an iTunes account with which to purchase music, but I haven't done it yet. This is what we call laziness, dear readers. Dear readers. I like that. You are all dear readers now. Live with it. Anyway, the other reasons I'm putting off my iTunes account making are (a) Apple Inc. will be launching Project iZombie sometime this year and I don't want to give them more power over me and (b) my iPod would have some of the most random music on it, including:
  • Disturbia (Rihanna)
  • Barbie Girl (Aqua)
  • O Canada
  • La Marseillaise
It would be like tangible proof of my non-existant music tastes.

I am going to try writing while using as few contractions as possible. I think this will be hard for me and very strange to read. It makes me feel like my writing is a lot more formal, even though I am using most of the same words. The point of this is pretty much to help me see how many contractions I use in my daily life: a lot. I am going to write a post soon and try not to use contractions. It is kind of hard to write this way. I have to keep checking myself and writing two words instead of one.

I should start writing a word of the day! I love words of the day. We supposedly have one at my place of residence, but it ends up as more of a word of the week. Right now, I feel too lazy to come up with an original word of the day, so I'll write down the one of Dictionary.com. It's my second favorite reference website, after Wikipedia. I'm not sure Wikipedia counts as a reference website, though.

acute: serious; pervasive

And, just for fun, the Spanish word of the day! ¡Viva EspaƱa!

pan: bread; loaf

Today in English class, I had an argument with Jaewoong and Michael about whether the book beloning to Jonas was Jonas's book or Jonas' book. I was telling them that it was Jonas's book, and trying (but not doing a very good job, apparently) to explain that only words that are plural can have only an apostrophe and words that just somehow happen to end in s have to have an 's. They didn't seem to believe me. Personally, I just think Jaewoong was arguing for the sake of arguing. Finally, they looked it up. I was right.

"English," said Michael, "is stupid."

"Sometimes, it is," I agreed.

That's why we love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment