28 September 2009

Guess who?

It's me, obviously. The privacy of my blog has not yet been compromised. The only person who gets to decide what ends up posted on the fabulous pages of Pseudocurses is yours truly. Don't worry. The reason I didn't blog for a month and a half was not actually because some creeper changed my password and I couldn't figure it out for weeks, like I originally planned to tell you.

It's because so much has been happening in my life. My gosh. Exciting new things are at every corner in this thrilling life I lead. I swear, every time I turn around some kind of great thing happens to me. Like, well, Commie.

I am a commie now. It all happened so fast...One moment I was hiding in my room pretending summer would never end; the next, I was being jostled around on a bus heading to Community High. School buses are not comfortable. If you have a choice, don't take them.

So. Anyway. I'm back from my hiatus, here on the Internets to bring you pithy and misanthropic insights into the world of Commie. I've even changed the color of links or something to red in honor of my school. Our school colors happen to be black and white (and our mascot is the rainbow zebra! Peace and love: Fight, fight!) but that's not the point. The point is that those reds can only really be represented by one color, and it is red.

Community is a unique school in downtown Ann Arbor. It's right across the street from Kerrytown, so of course everyone jaywalks across during our lunch period. Um, what else. Basic information, just in case you don't know...Community High was originally an elementary school. It has three floors and four staircases. Students are chosen by a lottery. We run on a block schedule, having half our classes each day and all our classes on Friday. An exclusive part of the Community experience is Forum, an hour-long class involving community service, friendship, and food.

I wrote that entire thing without even looking at one of the two Community websites. Go me. They're here !!!!! and here ???? in case my explanation wasn't awesome enough.

Let's see...this post will be full of Commie-related lists. You will enjoy them.

Fantastic Things About Commie:
  • It's tiny. There are three floors, one hall on each floor
  • No dress code! Not that I would, you know, care
  • We can have hour-and-a-half long free blocks
  • It's an open campus, so we can leave school during our free blocks
  • The block schedule means we have two days to do homework
  • We get to call our teachers by their first names
  • It's almost impossible to get lost
  • It's close to No Thai, Teriyaki Time, Kerrytown, and Smoothie King
  • Teachers just talk to you in the hallways (and call your dog emo)
  • All the teachers seem really psyched about teaching you
  • People let you do basically whatever you want
  • Peace and love: Fight, fight!

As you can see, Commie is pretty cool. I am so happy I go there. All of my Pi High friends tell me, "Oh, Libby! Come to Pioneer so you can catch a glimpse of me in the packed hallways! The teachers won't care about you, but it's okay: our stifling atmosphere and piles of homework will be worth any hardships!"

To this, I say, "No." I also whine, "But I liiiike Commie! And Pioneer scares me! It's so big!"

"You won't get lost!" they assure me. "Much."

Commie is my homeland. I am not switching schools for anyone. Ever.

The commies, my comrades in scholarly pursuits, are unique and fabulous people. Every single fricking one of them. I am not quite commie enough to abandon the useless and somewhat rude pastime of putting people into boxes, so here is my list of the types of people I have identified at Commie.

Commies: A List:
  • Goth/punk refugees
  • Scene/emo people: like the gothies, but more skinny jeans and plaid
  • Sensitive artistes
  • Assorted nerds, mostly male
  • People whose levels of funkitude are too high for normal education
  • People who like the idea or the specific classes
  • Other people who don't broadcast their fabulosity on their sleeves
And there you are. I think I fit in with the sensitive artistes, actually. I'm quite sensitive. I'm just not particularly artistic.

Oh, and one last thing that is imperative to know about Commie: Everyone wears skinny jeans. The guys wear skinny jeans. The girls wear skinny jeans. Laurel, who teaches Spanish, wears skinny jeans. Even I own a pair of skinny jeans for the sole purpose of fitting in at Commie.

As much as you can fit in at the local alternative school, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment